One of the biggest novelties of Microsoft’s new operating system, Windows 10; it is the possibility of being able to turn off your pc automatically. auto turn off pc
Turn off PC automatically auto turn off pc auto turn off pc
If by any chance you have forgotten to turn off your pc, for certain reasons; Don’t worry, believe it or not, Windows 10 has several methods so that you can turn off your pc automatically. This is usually really useful, when we leave our homes in a hurry and forget to do this; It is not a good idea, to leave our pc on for a long time, because this can overheat it and burn it, a drop in electricity could damage it or we would even have a high electricity bill to pay.
Be that as it may, it is very important that whenever we do not use our PC for long periods of time, it is turned off; in order to extend its useful life span. That said, we are going to mention the different methods for you to schedule your own automatic shutdown.
If you are bothered by the constant updates that Windows 10 has and do not let you work in peace; We recommend reading the following article: Disable Windows 10 updates.
Use Run to schedule automatic shutdown auto turn off pc
In this first method, we will use a Windows 10 tool that will help us with this task. This tool was present from many operating systems before, so it is not a novelty; However, now it allows us to turn off the pc automatically; let’s see how this is done.
- The first thing we must do is open “run” on our computer, which is what we will use to schedule the shutdown. To do this, we go to the search engine or we will use “Cortana” and we will write run; We click on the option that was presented to us and we will have the corresponding dialog box.
- Then, we will write in this box the command that will help us with the programming and which will be the following:
“Shutdown -s -t [number]”
The truth is that this method is really easy and simple, plus it is possible to access it quickly without many twists and turns. Between the brackets, where it says “number”, you will place the time you want your pc to turn off; taking into account that the pc takes seconds as a unit of time.
For example, if you want your pc to shut down in 5 minutes, you should write it like this: shutdown -s -t 300 ″; In a simple “rule of three”, a minute is made up of 60 seconds; so 5 minutes is then made up of 300 seconds. If you want to make your pc turn off in 10 minutes, you will put the same code, but now the number will be 600, something like this: shutdown -s -t 600 ″; a 20 minute shutdown, then the number is 1200 ″ and so on.
Use Windows command prompt to automatically shut down pc
In this case, we will use the famous “cmd”, something we have talked about many times in another of our posts. It is also called the command prompt and allows us multiple options to run on our pc, through command or codes (in this case it is the same).
- In order to open the Windows 10 command prompt, we will do the same as we did to enable “run” in the previous method; We will click on the search engine or on Cortana and instead of writing the above, this time we will write “cmd” (without the quotes) and click on the option that comes up. This will open the command console.
- Once our cmd is open, we will proceed to write the same code that we used in the first method: shutdown -s -t [number] ”; the way to proceed will be the same as the previous one, if you want a shutdown in 5 minutes, you will write 300 ″; in 1 hour, you will write 3600 ″. auto turn off pc
As you may have noticed, there is not much difference between this method and the previous one since, basically, it is the same, except that the dialog boxes are different. When executing the command in either of the two methods, Windows 10 will notify us when the shutdown has been scheduled; giving us the necessary data, such as date and time.
Windows 10 Task Scheduler
The following method is a bit more complicated than the previous ones that we describe here; However, it is a very good alternative, if by any chance, the two from before did not work for you. auto turn off pc
- The first thing will be to use our reliable search engine or Cortana. As we have always done so far (it is also possible to access through configurations, but it is longer) and we will put “tasks”, so that it looks for this dialog box.
- Here we will have two options, one called “task manager” and the second one “task scheduler”; this time, we will be interested in option number 2, to turn off our pc automatically . auto turn off pc
- Once the corresponding dialog box has been opened, on the right in the “actions” section, we will see several options; we are going to click on “create basic task” and we will give it a name, which will be “off”.
- Something to keep in mind is that Windows 10 will give us the option if we want to perform this task constantly or every so often; if so, you must establish how often you want this to be the case, otherwise, you can check the box that says “once” and we continue.
- The next step will be to determine what day and at what time we want to program our automatic shutdown; and when we have established this we will click on “next”.
- What comes next will be the most important thing in this whole method, because we will have to select, from the same “task scheduler”, a file to be able to link it to our task and it will be the one that will perform the shutdown action. It is not necessary to download anything additional, it will be on our pc already. auto turn off pc
- The file we need is called “shutdown.exe”. This file will be located at the following address: Local Disk C> Windows> System32; there we will look for our exe, and we will double click or select the file and open.
- The last thing will be to write “-s” (without the quotes) where it says “add argument”; this will end this entire process to schedule our automatic shutdown. auto turn off pc